Monday, July 26, 2010

Remote Sensing For a Day

At the beginning of the day, Helen and I were at Java's minding our own business when our giant undergrad came storming in telling me that he volunteered me to help out with the collect that was put on by the folks at remote sensing. Thanks Joel!! Anyway, t wasn't as confusing as I thought it would be as I only had to take temperature readings up on the roof of the Carlson building every time the airplane flew overhead. It was cool to be up top watching everyone down below just standing next to colored tarps. I even got to see all the equipment they were using to measure data even though one big antenna was not working properly. Speaking of antennas, I actually saw the biggest radio antenna ever measuring in at over four feet!! They also showed me how they used ham radio and gps to track the exact location of the plane. The plane itself did not take off for about twenty minutes once we started work and it was fun to watch the people on the ground in all of their confusion on whether the plane had taken off or not. I still do not fully understand why I had to take the temperature readings of an exhaust pipe on the roof or why there was a swimming pool, but I guess that's why I'm in color science and not remote sensing.

No comments:

Post a Comment